The current release of Overbite for Android is 0.2,
released on 1 September 2010.
This is an alpha test release and is not yet complete.
You should consider this software in testing. Please send us your
comments at email@example.com.
- System Requirements:
- Any Android phone or device with 1.5 (Cupcake) or higher. Android 2.1 (Eclair) or higher is recommended.
Due to technical requirements for future versions, this will be
the last version to support Android 1.5.
During the testing phase Overbite will only be made available
from this site. Once complete, it will be submitted to the Android
Market as a free application.
- Installation/upgrading directions:
- Enable installation from unknown sources: Home, Menu, Settings, Applications, Unknown sources. Check the box. Uncheck it when these steps are complete.
- Overbite Android is supplied as an APK. Either directly download the APK to your device with the browser or to your device's memory card. Keep the extension as .apk.
- Depending on your configuration, you may simply be able to touch and install the APK directly. You can also use a tool such as OI File Manager, AppsInstaller or Astro File Manager to do this installation step.
- Start Overbite Android by touching the icon in your applications tab. You can also drag it to your home screen.
- Enjoy Gopherspace. Please report your experiences to firstname.lastname@example.org, including your perception of the application's speed, how well it interacts, and your device and Android version.
- Faster document processing.
- Handles significantly larger menus and documents.
- Auto-typing suggestions no longer foul entered URLs.
- Out of memory errors should no longer crash the application.
- Being killed by a process manager no longer crashes the application on restart.
- To do
- Enable downloading files to the memory card. This will be part of version 0.3. You will need to have a file manager that supports PICK_FILE, such as Astro File Manager or OI.
- Add localizations. If you're interested, send E-mail!
- Internal bookmark support. This will be in a future version. For now, you can create shortcuts on the Home screen as basic bookmarks.
Overbite for Android is provided to you as open source under the
new BSD license. You can download the Eclipse project, source
code and resources from Gopherspace:
Source code for Overbite Android
version of this page