The current release of Overbite for Android is 0.2.5,
released on 2 January 2020.
This is an alpha test release and is not yet complete.
You should consider this software in testing. Please send us your
comments at email@example.com.
- System Requirements:
- Any Android phone or device with 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) through 10 (Q). Android 9 (Pie) or higher is recommended.
- Overbite Android 0.2 is still offered for devices running 1.5 (Cupcake) through 9 (Pie). No further support will be available for units running 3.2 (Honeycomb) or lower. 0.2 is not recommended for devices running Android 9 (Pie) and will not work properly with Android 10 (Q).
During the testing phase Overbite will only be made available
from this site.
- Installation/upgrading directions:
- Enable sideloading on your device. Although this application is signed, it is not offered through F-Droid or the Google Play Store. Sideloading is supported on most unlocked devices and all Google Nexus and Pixel devices.
- Overbite Android is supplied as an APK. Either directly download the APK to your device with the browser or to your device's memory card. Keep the extension as .apk.
- Depending on your configuration, you may simply be able to touch and install the APK directly. You can also use a tool such as OI File Manager, AppsInstaller or Astro File Manager to do this installation step.
- Start Overbite Android by touching the icon in your applications tab. You can also drag it to your home screen.
- Enjoy Gopherspace. Please report your experiences to firstname.lastname@example.org, including your perception of the application's speed, how well it interacts, and your device and Android version.
- New and Fixed
- Rewritten for later Android versions, but same basic UI.
- You can tap on the address to enter or edit the current selector.
- Menu button moved to a floating action button (fixing the issue where old-style menus are no longer supported on Q).
- Support for Android Q dark mode.
- Various minor fixes for scaling and scroll position.
- Adding shortcuts to the home screen now works properly again on later versions of Android.
- To do
- Enable downloading files to device storage. This will be part of version 0.3. You will need to have a file manager that supports PICK_FILE, such as Astro.
- Add localizations.
- Internal bookmark support. This will be in a future version. For now, you can create shortcuts on the Home screen as basic bookmarks.
Overbite for Android is provided to you as open source under the
new BSD license. You can download the Android Studio project,
source code and resources from Gopherspace:
Source code for Overbite Android
version of this page